Kern County Public Works

Waste & Recycling Portal

A web version of the Kern County Recycling Guide formerly held in .pdf and phone book printed formats only.


Disposal Sites


Trash Collection


Hazardous Waste


Keep Kern Beautiful


Recycle, It's Easy







Frequently Asked Questions

While the reasons are varied, the frustration is the same. Missed pick-ups are frustrating for both the customer and the Trash hauler.

  • If you live in the unincorporated area of Kern County and your trash was not picked up, contact the private Franchise Trash Hauler contracted to provide this service.
  • Residential and Commercial customers, within an incorporated City, should contact their City to determine why trash was not picked up.

The County operates three permanent Hazardous Waste Facilities and conducts several one-day collection events for the disposal of Hazardous Waste. Check the Hazardous Waste section of this website for the opportunity nearest you.

All dirt is not created equal! Believe it or not, there are several kinds of dirt:

  • Clean fill dirt (less than 30% vegetation);
  • Dirty dirt (more than 30% vegetation, rocks, trash etc.); and
  • Contaminated dirt (hazardous con stituents in the dirt).
  1. Dirt, of any kind, is not accepted at Bin Sites or Transfer Stations.
  2. Dirt and Dirty Dirt is accepted at all Landfill Sites. Contaminated dirt is not accepted.
  3. Disposal fees will be charged based on the type of dirt you are bringing into the facility.

Prior to bringing dirt to a Landfill Site, you must call 661-862-8900 or 800-552-KERN, option 6 to obtain approval.

State Law prohibits salvaging at any Disposal Facility. Safety is a number one priority for the Department and it is not safe to dig through the trash.

Currently, Kern County residents pay a Land Use Fee on their property taxes to cover the cost of household trash disposal. This fee gives residents the ability to use Kern County Disposal Facilities without payment at the gate. Since self-haul customers, from outside the county, do not pay into the land use fee system, Out-of-County Customers are required to pay Disposal Fees at the gate. In order to determine which customers must pay the fee, the Waste Management Department is asking for proof of Kern County residency. Acceptable forms of identification include: Drivers License or Identification Card with a Kern County address or a utility bill with a Kern County address and a picture ID.

Disposal Sites may experience a closure due to inclement weather such as snow, rain or high winds. Closures will be posted on the Kern County Waste Management Department’s website or you may call the Waste Management Department at 661-862-8900 or 1-800-552-Kern, Option 6, to inquire about closures.

Check out our latest videos!