As of July 1, 2012 businesses that generate four(4) cubic yards or more of waste per week are required to recycle. A business means any commercial or public entity, including but not limited to:
The requirement was signed into law per AB 341, which is intended to promote recycling and diversion of solid waste from landfills by requiring businesses to accomplish recycling activities and/or participate in recycling programs.
What materials should be recycled?
What can be recycled will vary by business, however, this program targets mainly source separated recyclable materials that can be collected together or commingled such as:
- Paper, catalogs, junk mail, magazines, newspaper, phone books, and other paper products;
- Aluminum, Metal, Tin, or Steel cans or containers;
- Glass Bottles & Jars;
- Plastics #1 through 7; and
- Wood and Greenwaste (as part of a separate collection program).
How to get started?
Kern County has adopted a Commercial Recycling Ordinance to address the requirements for business/commercial properties located in unincorporated Kern County areas. The ordiance describes several options that a business can participate to comply, as follows:
- Subscribe to a Source Separated Recycling Service with the Franchise Hauler authorized to provide service for the area in which the Business is located;
- Subscribe to a Mixed Solid Waste Recycling Service with the Franchise Hauler authorized to provide service for the area in which the business is located; or
- Self Recycle and self certify compliance with the Ordinance.
Self Recycling Certification
Businesses that self-recycle must accomplish recycling activities and/or participate in recycling programs, certify compliance with the Commercial Recycling Ordinance and complete and retain on-site a Self Recycling form certifying that all recycling activities will be completed in accordance with this Ordinance or any other applicable law or regulation.
Resources for Commercial Recycling
State & Local Laws/Ordinances:
Posters (Under Construction):
Sample Recycling Signs (Under Construction):