Most people in Kern County have curbside trash collection. From Lost Hills to Boron, local waste haulers are contracted, under a franchise system, to provide this service to residents living within the County. Incorporated cities negotiate their own hauling contracts to provide trash collection. The only exception is within the City of Bakersfield where the City's Solid Waste Division and local waste haulers provide curbside refuse collection.
There are remote areas of the County whereby collection service is provided through bin sites and transfer stations. Residents living in rural, unincorporated county areas may contact the Public Works Department to find out more information regarding available disposal options.
Within the Metro Bakersfield area, curbside collection of trash and greenwaste are standard. Residents receive two containers for this service. Trash is picked-up by the City of Bakersfield's Solid Waste Division OR by one of the local waste haulers listed below:
- Howard's Garbage Service (661) 832-1179
- Price Environmental (661) 831-2653
- Superior Sanitation (661) 831-3551
- Valley Garbage (661) 323-8154
- Varner and Son, Inc. (661) 588-7908
- Varner Brothers, Inc. (661) 399-2944
- City of Bakersfield Residents (661) 326-3114 or http://www.bakersfieldcity.us/
- Unincorporated Bakersfield Residents Check the name of the Franchise Waste Hauler printed on the side of your waste bin provided for trash collection. If you still do not know which of the Franchise Garbage Haulers provides your CURBSIDE TRASH COLLECTION SERVICE call: (661) 862-8900.
BULKY WASTE ITEM COLLECTIONS
Metro Bakersfield residents also have curbside collection of large household items. This "Call-to-Schedule" service is free to residents and provides an easy opportunity to get rid of bulky household items such as mattresses, couches, appliances and the like. Items are picked up and are re-used, re-cycled or disposed of. For information on the CURBSIDE BULKY WASTE ITEM COLLECTION call:
- City of Bakersfield Residents: (661) 326-3114
- Unincorporated Metro-Bakersfield Residents: (661) 322-6863
Common large items collected include:
- Furniture: sofas, love seats, chairs, tables, desks, shelving units, mattresses, bed frames, box springs and dressers.
- Appliances: washers, dryers, stoves, refrigerators, water heaters, microwave ovens and range tops.
- Outdoor Toys/Patio: lawn chairs, patio tables, patio chairs, large toys, grills and kiddie pools.
- NO Household Hazardous Waste: paint, varnish, motor oil, automotive fluids, car batteries, insecticide, pesticide, pool/spa chemicals, bleach, ammonia, household or shop cleaners.
- No Tires.
- No construction, demolition or remodeling materials.
To request to have a shopping cart removed CLICK HERE.
For residents in the City of California City, the City provides service for curbside refuse, greenwaste, and recycling through Waste Management, Inc. at (760) 463-6024. For City services, select either Residential Services or Commercial Services.
The surrounding unincorporated areas are also served through Waste Management, Inc. at (760) 463-6024.
The surrounding unincorporated areas are served through South Tulare-Richgrove Refuse at (661) 725-0264 or (661) 838-2442.
The community of Lamont is serviced through Lamont Sanitation at (661) 588-7908.
For residents in the City of Ridgecrest, the City provides curbside refuse, green waste, and recycling through Waste Management, Inc. at (760) 463-6024. For City services, select either Residential Services or Commercial Services.
The surrounding unincorporated areas are also serviced through Waste Management Inc. at (760) 463-6024.
For residents in the City of Shafter, the City provides service for curbside refuse and seasonal green waste. Carousel Recycling provides a curbside recycling program. Questions can be directed to the City of Shafter Public Works Department at (661) 746-5002.
The surrounding unincorporated areas are served through American Refuse at (661) 758-5316.