Road Permits

Our Permits Division, in accordance with State Law, County Ordinance, and the policies of the Board of Supervisors, issues transportation permits for over-size loads vehicles. This section also issues encroachment permits for any act or encroachment placed in a County-maintained road and special event permits related to special uses of County road rights of way.

Kern County requires a permit for all work performed in the County right of way. The inspector must be notified 24 hours prior to start of any work. The County has specific requirements for each different type of permit.

PDF Document Downloads

The application forms are PDF documents that may be printed, filled out, and mailed, faxed, or delivered to the Public Works Department. Submit detailed plans with the application.

Click the button below if you don't have the
Free Adobe Acrobat Reader

Encroachment Permits


We issue permits for above ground structures, such as fences, power poles, curb & gutter, sidewalk, drive approaches and private road approaches. We also issue permits for subsurface utility encroachments.


Permits may be issued to the property owner or a licensed contractor. Permits are issued for curb & gutter, sidewalk, or other concrete structures in the County right-of-way.


Fence permits are issued to the property owner in urban areas where curb and gutter exists.

Operate Equipment

Permits are issued to operate equipment in the County road right-of-way to clean up roadway or while working on private property and equipment is in County right-of-way.


Permits are issued to the owner of the facility or a public utility company. Road conditions dictate if a road may be open cut or bored. For lines that parallel the roadway, a franchise must be obtained from Property Management.

Private Road Approaches

Permits are issued only to property owners as no maintenance is assumed by the County. Private road approaches may be placed only where curb and gutter is not required.

Sewer Lateral

The property owner must first obtain a permit from the sanitation district. Casing is required if the line is bored.

Road Closure(s) Transportation Permits

Construction Related

Permits are issued when a road closure is necessary for public safety for any road construction.


Permits are issued for filming in the road right of way.

Event Related

Permits are issued for various events, such as car shows, rallies, and celebrations.

Oversized Loads Transportation Permits

Permits are issued for oversize loads as required by the California Vehicle Code. In certain cases, an annual blanket permit may be issued.


Only the County of Kern permit form or exact photocopies will be approved by this department for issuing permits. Please allow one hour to process your permit.

Annual Blanket

The maximum limits for annual blanket permits are: 12′ wide, 14’6″ high, 100′ long, with purple weight. Permits are issued for a one-year period. An insurance certificate must be one file with our office.

Adopt -A- Road

Permits are issued to individuals or organizations to remove litter from the road right of way.

At the present time, there is no charge for any permit issued by the Kern County Public Works Department. If you have any questions you may contact us at