Business Hazardous Waste

If your waste is generated during the course of operating a business including: schools, government agencies, churches, farms, landlords, property managers, ranches, non-profit organizations as well as conventional businesses, it is considered to be Business Hazardous Waste and must be handled differently than residential hazardous waste.

The Kern County Special Waste Facilities serve the hazardous waste disposal needs of Kern County businesses. The Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) Program allows eligible businesses to bring hazardous waste to one of three Special Waste Facilities serving Kern County.



Step 1 - Is Your Business Eligible

  • Your business must generate less than 27 gallons or 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month, including a maximum of 1 quart or 2.2 pounds of acutely hazardous waste.
  • State and Federal Laws limit the use of this type of program to businesses that qualify as a CESQG. Businesses generating more than these amounts are required to use a licensed hazardous waste hauler to manifest and transport their waste. Historical accumulations of waste may require the services of a licensed hazardous waste hauler.
  • You are required to sign a waiver stating that your business qualifies as a CESQG.

Step 2 - Complete the CESQG Registration Forms

  • Complete the Forms and fax them to (661) 328-1682.
  • Staff will contact you, review the forms and set an appointment.

CLICK HERE (177 KB) to download the Registration Forms.

Step 3 - Bring Your Waste to Your Appointment

  • You will receive a transportation variance and other proper documentation to bring with you to your appointment.
  • Waste will not be accepted without an appointment and required paperwork.

Gate fees for disposal are based upon the weight and category of waste generated. The method for calculating the amount to be charged to a CESQG will be based on the actual weight of the hazardous waste, including the container, as measured by a scale at the time of disposal. Businesses will be billed within 30 days.



Please use caution when transporting hazardous waste to the Facility.

  • Properly label and seal each container if the product is not in its original container;
  • Cover all containers with a secure fitting lid;
  • Pack in an upright position;
  • Protect from breaking, leaking and mixing with other waste;
  • Variance must accompany waste being delivered the day of appointment.

Regulations for packaging and labeling can be found in the Department of Transportation Code of Federal Regulations Title 49, Transportation, Parts 100-199.

State laws limit the amount of waste that may be transported by the CESQG.

Prior to the appointment, the business will be issued packaging and labeling information and a transportation variance allowing legal transport of the waste to the Facility.

Materials ACCEPTED

  • Aerosol Spray Cans (paint, cleaners, lubricants)
  • Antifreeze
  • Batteries (Alkaline, Lead-acid, Rechargeable, Button Type)
  • Cleaning Products (oven, window, drain, polishes)
  • Compressed Gas Cylinders (may be taken on a case-by-case basis)
  • Cosmetics (nail polish,polish remover, perfume)
  • Electronics (TVs, cell phones, computers, printers)
  • Expired Medications
  • Grease/Lubricants
  • Ink & Toner Cartridges
  • Fluorescent Lamps (tubes & compacts)
  • Mercury (thermometers, thermostats)
  • Oil filters
  • Paint & Paint related products (Latex & Oil Base)
  • Personal Care Products (hair dyes, sprays, lotions)
  • PCB Light Ballasts
  • Pesticides/Herbicides
  • Photo Chemicals
  • Pool Chemicals
  • Propane Tanks (BBQ & Camping size)
  • Used Motor Oil
  • Non-Friable Asbestos (Kern County has a special commercial program for the disposal of non-friable asbestos.)

* Note: Kern County is NOT RESPONSIBLE for the security of personal or private information contained on any electronic devices or hard drives disposed of at our facilities. If you have concerns about the security of this data, please take any measures necessary to secure or erase this data from the device prior to dropping off at a Kern County Disposal Facility.


  • Ammo/Explosives - Call the Kern County Sheriff’s Department at 661-861-3110.
  • Asbestos - Friable asbestos must go to a Class 1 or 2 landfill.
    • Class 1: Clean Harbors 661-762-6200
    • Class 2: McKittrick 661-762-7366
    • Look in telephone book or online under Asbestos Abatement & Removal Services.
  • Radioactive waste
  • Biohazardous/MedicalWaste - Call the Environmental Health Division of the Kern County Public Health Department at (661) 862-8740 or visit them at for more information.
  • Unknown chemicals
  • Container larger than 5 gallons

Non-Friable Asbestos Program For Businesses

  1. Commercial Customers must complete the Non-Friable Asbestos Form (PDF Fillable Form) (front & back) and bring original copy to appointment. (Okay to fax).
  2. Customers must call at least 24 hours in advance to schedule appointment.
  3. Commercial Customer Appointments are made for the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month at 9am.
  4. Customers must have the Non-friable Asbestos item(s) double wrapped or double bagged with at least 6 mil plastic.

Pesticide Containers The commercial triple-rinsed pesticide container program for the Central Valley region is administered by Ag Container Recycling Council, Click Here for Recycling Locations. Kern County Public Works, in conjunction with the Agriculture Department, will continue to administer the program in Ridgecrest. Contact us at (661) 862-8900 for more details.

Pesticide Bags Bags will no longer be accepted into the recycling program. Empty bags must be bundled and tied and may be disposed at the Bena, Shafter-Wasco or Ridgecrest Landfill for $40.50/ton.