Residential Hazardous Waste

What is Residential Hazardous Waste?

Residential Hazardous Wastes are products, purchased for use in or around the home, that when improperly discarded, may threaten human health or the environment.

These products include: household cleaners; deodorizers; pesticides; herbicides; insecticides; pet care products; paint products; photographic chemicals; swimming pool chemicals; and automotive products & fluids. Even though a product can be easily purchased at the local store, it can still be harmful to you, your family and the environment.

To identify these products, check the container label for words, such as:


Disposing of Residential Hazardous Waste in your trash or dumping it down storm drains or into the sewer and septic systems can be dangerous to your health, the health of others and the environment. Thrown into your trash can, Residential Hazardous Waste can pose a threat to trash collectors and workers. Dumped on the ground or street, Residential Hazardous Waste can be absorbed into the ground water supply, enter storm drains and eventually pollute the Kern River.


  • Only buy what you can use. Share leftovers with friends, neighbors, etc.
  • Recycle used motor oil, oil filters, antifreeze, car batteries and latex paint.
  • Buy safer alternatives to hazardous household products.
  • Store unused products in a safe, dry, cool place.
  • Follow label directions.
  • For legal, safe disposal of Residential Hazardous Waste, bring it to one of the permanent Kern County Special Waste Facilities in Bakersfield, Mojave or Ridgecrest, Or find out about one-day Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events in your community.

Residential Hazardous Waste can be dropped off at one of three County Special Waste Facilities or at a one-day Hazardous Waste Collection Event noted below:


The Bakersfield Special Waste Facility is located at 4951 Standard Street, (southwest corner of Standard and Foster Streets) in Bakersfield, California.

Operational Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm

Stop 'n' Shop

Check out the FREE “Stop 'n' Shop” Program which is only available at the Bakersfield Special Waste Facility. The Stop ‘n’ Shop is a reuse and recycling program that offers the community a great opportunity to collect a variety of used paints, household cleaners, pool chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, and much more – free of charge! It can save you money on the purchase of items and it reduces the cost of disposing of perfectly good products. The Stop 'n' Shop is open from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. 


The Mojave Special Waste Facility, serving East Kern County residents, is located at 17035 Finnin Street (southwest corner of Finnin & Sabovich Streets on the Mojave Airport property) in Mojave, California.

Operational Hours: 1st Saturday every other month 9:00 am – Noon.
(January, March, May, July, September, November)


The Ridgecrest Special Waste Facility is located at 3301 W. Bowman Road at the Ridgecrest Landfill in Ridgecrest, California.

Operational Hours: 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month 10:00 am – 1:00 pm.

One-Day Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events:

In order to provide residential hazardous waste collection event services to residents in outlying County communities, the following One-Day Collection Events are as scheduled:





August 4, 2023 Tehachapi Sanitary Landfill 9 AM to 1 PM Flyer
August 5, 2023 Tehachapi Sanitary Landfill 9 AM to 1 PM Flyer
August 12, 2023 Ridgecrest Special Waste Facility 10 AM to 1 PM Flyer
August 12, 2023 Shafter-Wasco Sanitary Landfill 9 AM to 1 PM Flyer
August 19, 2023 Kern Valley Transfer Station 9 AM to 1 PM
August 26, 2023 Ridgecrest Special Waste Facility 10 AM to 1 PM Flyer
September 1, 2023 Tehachapi Sanitary Landfill 9 AM to 1 PM Flyer
September 2, 2023 Tehachapi Sanitary Landfill 9 AM to 1 PM Flyer
September 2, 2023 Mojave Special Waste Facility 9 AM to 12 PM Flyer
September 9, 2023 McFarland-Delano Transfer Station 9 AM to 1 PM Flyer
September 9, 2023 Ridgecrest Special Waste Facility 10 AM to 1 PM Flyer
September 16, 2023 Lebec Transfer Station 9 AM to 1 PM Flyer
September 23, 2023 Ridgecrest Special Waste Facility 10 AM to 1 PM Flyer
September 30, 2023 Taft Sanitary Landfill 9 AM to 1 PM Flyer
October 6, 2023 Tehachapi Sanitary Landfill
9 AM to 1 PM  Flyer
October 7, 2023 Tehachapi Sanitary Landfill 9 AM to 1 PM Flyer
October 14, 2023 Ridgecrest Special Waste Facility
10 AM to 1 PM Flyer
October 19, 2023 Kern Valley Transfer Station 9 AM to 1 PM Flyer
October 21, 2023 California City 9 AM to 1 PM Flyer
October 28, 2023
Boron Sanitary Landfill 9 AM to 1 PM Flyer
October 28, 2023
Ridgecrest Special Waste Facility 10 AM to 1 PM Flyer

*Business waste NOT accepted. Collection events may be canceled due to weather conditions.

What can I expect when I visit the Special Waste Facility?

  1. You will drive up to the collection area, put your vehicle in park and turn off the engine. State regulations require you to remain in your vehicle when delivering hazardous waste and refrain from smoking. If you wish to have a container returned to you, please notify the staff immediately. Some containers may not be returnable.
  2. An attendant will give you a short form to complete. It’s easy – just your name, address, and signature.
  3. While you fill out the form, an attendant will remove the household hazardous waste from your trunk or back seat. You return the clipboard to the attendant and you drive away. That's it!

Transportation Guidelines for Residents

Prior to transporting your waste to one of the facilities, please follow these rules:

  1. A maximum of 15 gallons or 125 pounds of waste/material may be transported, per vehicle, per trip.
  2. The contents of any single container of waste/material may not exceed five gallons.
  3. Do not mix waste/material.
  4. Waste should be in the original container. If not label the container as to its contents.
  5. Containers must be closed, sturdy, not leaking, and protected from breakage.
  6. Permanent facilities and household hazardous waste collection events are for Kern County residents only.


What products CAN a resident bring to the Special Waste Facility?

Acceptable Materials:

  • Aerosol Spray Cans (paint, cleaners, lubricants)
  • Antifreeze
  • Batteries (Alkaline, Lead-acid, Rechargeable, Button Type)
  • Cleaning Products (oven, window, drain, polishes)
  • Cosmetics (nail polish, polish remover, perfume)
  • Electronics (TVs-19″ or less, cell phones, computers, alarm clocks, microwave ovens)
  • Expired Medications
  • Grease/Lubricants
  • Ink & Toner Cartridges
  • Fluorescent Lamps (tubes & compacts)
  • Mercury (thermometers, thermostats)
  • Oil filters
  • Paint & Paint related products (Latex & Oil Base)
  • Personal Care Products (hair dyes, sprays, lotions)
  • PCB Light Ballasts
  • Pesticides/Herbicides
  • Photo Chemicals
  • Pool Chemicals
  • Propane Tanks (BBQ & Camping size)
  • Sharps (Home Generated Sources Only) ***
  • Used Motor Oil

BE ADVISED: Kern County is NOT RESPONSIBLE for the security of personal or private information contained on electronic devices or hard drives. If you have concerns about the security of this data, please take any measures necessary to secure or erase this data from the device prior to dropping off at a Special Waste Collection Facility.

SHARPS DISPOSAL PROGRAM (Home generated sources ONLY.)

Improper disposal of used “sharps” (needles, syringes and lancets) can injure children, home health care providers, sanitation workers and pets. Now there is a safe solution! Bring your used sharps to one of the three Kern County Special Waste Facility locations for proper and convenient disposal. Free “Biohazard” rigid plastic sharps containers are available at the collection facilities for you to use at home.

How the program works:

  1. The resident will deliver home generated sharps in a rigid “Biohazard” container to one of three Special Waste Facilities in Kern County or a one-day Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event.
  2. The resident will be given a Free “Biohazard” sharps container, at The Special Waste Facility to take home (when supplies are available).
  3. Once your “Biohazard” container is full, bring it to one of the Kern County Special Waste Facilities and exchange it for an empty one.

Sharps will NOT be accepted in:

  • Liquid detergent bottles
  • Bleach Bottles
  • Coffee cans
  • Glass containers
  • Milk jugs or soda bottles

Do not attempt to remove, bend, break or recap the needle. This program is available for HOME GENERATED SHARPS ONLY. Sharps are NOT accepted from BUSINESSES such as DOCTORS OFFICES or HOME HEALTH CARE COMPANIES.

For more information on the Sharps Program call (661) 862-8900 OR (800) 552-KERN. If you have additional questions, regarding correct disposal of home-generated medical waste, please call Kern County Environmental Health Services at (661) 862-8700.

Not Accepted

What IS NOT ACCEPTED at the Special Waste Facility?


Ammunition and explosives are not accepted at any of our Special Waste Facilities. For legal disposal instructions, please contact the Kern County Sheriff’s Department at (661) 861-3110.

Friable Asbestos

Asbestos is typically found in roofing materials, flooring such as linoleum and vinyl, transite pipe and other similar products manufactured before 1979. This type of asbestos material is a hazardous waste, crumbles easily and we do not accept this material at any Kern County Landfill, Transfer Station, Bin Site or Special Waste Facility.

Friable Asbestos must be taken to a Class 1 or 2 landfill. For more information contact:

Class 1 Landfill: CLEAN HARBORS 661-762-6200

Class 2 Landfill: McKittrick 661-762-7366

Or check the Yellow Pages or online under Asbestos Abatement and Removal Services.

Non-Friable Asbestos

Non-friable Asbestos is NOT ACCEPTED at County Special Waste Facilities. However, Kern County has a Residential and Business Program for the disposal of Non-Friable Asbestos at the Bena Landfill and Ridgecrest Landfill.

Residential Program Procedures for Non-friable asbestos:

  1. Appointments are accepted on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the each month beginning at 9:00 AM.
  2. Call the Kern County Public Works Department at 661-862-8900, at least 24 hours in advance, to schedule an appointment.
  3. Customers must have the non-friable asbestos items(s) double wrapped or double bagged with a heavy duty plastic or trash bag.

Hours of acceptance are as follows:

Bena Landfill – 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Please call the Operations Division at (661) 862-8900. The Bena Landfill is located 17 miles east of Bakersfield, off Hwy. 58 at Tower Line Road.

Ridgecrest landfill – Monday through Thursday BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Call (661) 862-8900 to schedule an appointment. The Ridgecrest Landfill is located 5 miles southwest of Ridgecrest, at 3301 Bowman Road.

Medical Waste

Call Kern County Environmental Health Services at (661) 862-8700 for information regarding the correct disposal of medical waste.

Pesticide Containers

The commercial triple-rinsed pesticide container program for the Central Valley region is administered by Ag Container Recycling Council, Click Here for Recycling Locations. Kern County Public Works, in conjunction with the Agriculture Department, will continue to administer the program in Ridgecrest. Contact us at (661) 862-8900 for more details.

Pesticide Bags

Bags will no longer be accepted into the recycling program. Empty bags must be bundled and tied and may be disposed at the Bena, Shafter-Wasco or Ridgecrest Landfill for $45.00/ton.