Your Guide to Residential & Business

Hazardous Waste

Don't Toss Hazardous Waste in the Trash.

Products around the home and office can have these warnings and should be disposed of properly.

Disposing of Hazardous Waste in your trash or dumping it down storm drains or into the sewer and septic systems can be dangerous to your health, the health of others and the environment. Thrown into your trash can, Residential Hazardous Waste can pose a threat to trash collectors and workers. Dumped on the ground or street, Residential Hazardous Waste can be absorbed into the ground water supply, enter storm drains and eventually pollute the Kern River.





Types of Waste that should be brought to a Special Waste Facility. Make sure containers aren't leaking and are properly labeled.

  • Automotive Products
  • Batteries (auto & household)
  • Electronic Waste
  • Expired Medications
  • Fertilizers
  • Fluorescent Light Bulbs
  • Home Generated Sharps
  • Household Cleaning Products
  • Mercury Thermometers
  • Paint & Paint Products
  • Pesticides & Weed Killers
  • Photo Chemicals
  • Pool & Spa Chemicals


  • Only buy what you can use. Share leftovers with friends, neighbors, etc.
  • Recycle used motor oil, oil filters, antifreeze, car batteries and latex paint.
  • Buy safer alternatives to hazardous household products.
  • Store unused products in a safe, dry, cool place.
  • Follow label directions.
  • For legal, safe disposal of Residential Hazardous Waste, bring it to one of the permanent Kern County Special Waste Facilities in Bakersfield, Mojave or Ridgecrest, Or find out about one-day Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events in your community.


Less than 220 lbs. of Hazardous Waste per month. By Appointment Only Call 661-862-8922

  • Automotive Products
  • Batteries & Fluorescent Bulbs
  • Paint & Paint Products
  • Pesticides & Weed Killers
  • Pool & Spa Chemicals
  • Cleaning Products & more...

If your waste is generated during the course of operating a business including: schools, government agencies, churches, farms, landlords, property managers, ranches, non-profit organizations as well as conventional businesses, it is considered to be Business Hazardous Waste and must be handled differently than residential hazardous waste.

The Kern County Special Waste Facilities serve the hazardous waste disposal needs of Kern County businesses. The Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) Program allows eligible businesses to bring hazardous waste to one of three Special Waste Facilities serving Kern County.

To Dispose of your Business Waste

Step 1 - Is Your Business Eligible

  • Your business must generate less than 27 gallons or 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month, including a maximum of 1 quart or 2.2 pounds of acutely hazardous waste.
  • State and Federal Laws limit the use of this type of program to businesses that qualify as a CESQG. Businesses generating more than these amounts are required to use a licensed hazardous waste hauler to manifest and transport their waste. Historical accumulations of waste may require the services of a licensed hazardous waste hauler.
  • You are required to sign a waiver stating that your business qualifies as a CESQG.

Step 2 - Complete the CESQG Registration Forms

  • Complete the Forms and fax them to (661) 328-1682.
  • Staff will contact you, review the forms and set an appointment.

CLICK HERE (177 KB) to download the Registration Forms.

Step 3 - Bring Your Waste to Your Appointment

  • You will receive a transportation variance and other proper documentation to bring with you to your appointment.
  • Waste will not be accepted without an appointment and required paperwork.

Gate fees for disposal are based upon the weight and category of waste generated. The method for calculating the amount to be charged to a CESQG will be based on the actual weight of the hazardous waste, including the container, as measured by a scale at the time of disposal. Businesses will be billed within 30 days.


Please use caution when transporting hazardous waste to the Facility.

  • Properly label and seal each container if the product is not in its original container;
  • Cover all containers with a secure fitting lid;
  • Pack in an upright position;
  • Protect from breaking, leaking and mixing with other waste;
  • Variance must accompany waste being delivered the day of appointment.

Regulations for packaging and labeling can be found in the Department of Transportation Code of Federal Regulations Title 49, Transportation, Parts 100-199.

State laws limit the amount of waste that may be transported by the CESQG.

Prior to the appointment, the business will be issued packaging and labeling information and a transportation variance allowing legal transport of the waste to the Facility.


What can I expect when I visit the Special Waste Facility?

  1. You will drive up to the collection area, put your vehicle in park and turn off the engine. State regulations require you to remain in your vehicle when delivering hazardous waste and refrain from smoking. If you wish to have a container returned to you, please notify staff immediately. Some containers may not be returnable.
  2. An attendant will give you a short form to complete. It’s easy – just your name, address and signature.
  3. While you fill out the form, an attendant will remove the household hazardous waste from your trunk or back seat. You return the clipboard to the attendant and you drive away. That's it!

Transportation Guidelines for Residents

Prior to transporting your waste to one of the facilities, please follow these rules:

  1. A maximum of 15 gallons or 125 pounds of waste/material may be transported, per vehicle, per trip.
  2. The contents of any single container of waste/material may not exceed five gallons.
  3. Do not mix waste/material.
  4. Waste should be in the original container. If not label the container as to its contents.
  5. Containers must be closed, sturdy, not leaking and protected from breakage.
  6. Permanent facilities and household hazardous waste collection events are for Kern County residents only.

Metro Kern County Special Waste Facility

4951 Standard Street - Bakersfield, CA

Southwest corner of Standard and Foster Streets

Operational Hours:
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm


Mojave Special Waste Facility

serving East Kern County residents

17035 Finnin Street Mojave, California

Southwest corner of Finnin & Sabovich Streets on the Mojave Airport property

Operational Hours:
1st Saturday every other month 9:00 am – Noon
(January, March, May, July, September, November)


Ridgecrest Kern County Special Waste Facility

3301 W. Bowman Road, Ridgecrest, California

At the Ridgecrest Landfill

Operational Hours:
2nd and 4th Saturday of each month 10:00 am – 1:00 pm.