How do I Appeal An Administrative Citation?

Any person disputing the issuance of an administrative citation may contest the citation by completing a request for hearing form and returning the form within fifteen (15) days from the date of the issuance of the administration citation. The initial appeal is handled by Revenue Experts, Inc. not the County of Kern. The County’s ordinance requires citations be paid even if the citizen wishes to appeal. Appeals are usually held at the Public Services building, however, citizens may also request a hearing be conducted via the telephone.

The Appeal Forms may be obtained:

  • By clicking here
  • By calling Code Compliance at (661) 862-8603 and ask them to mail an Appeal form to your home (the mail time will cut into your 15 day response time)
  • By picking up at the Public Services building located at 2700 “M” Street, Bakersfield at the Customer Service Center

If paying the penalty in advance causes a financial hardship the citizen may complete a “Hardship Waiver Request.” The form must be submitted to Revenue Experts within ten (10) days from the date the citation was issued. The Department issuing the citation will review the citizen’s request and the decision of the department is final.

Failure of the citizen to appear at the administrative citation hearing shall constitute a forfeiture of the fine and be deemed a failure to exhaust administrative remedies.

Within ten (10) days of the conclusion of the hearing, the hearing officer will provide the citizen with a written decision. A decision in favor of the citizen shall constitute a dismissal of the administrative penalty and the County shall return any monies paid.

If the hearing officer renders a decision in favor of the County, the citizen must comply with the administrative order, including payment of any administrative penalty, or seek review under Section 8.54.100.

A citizen, who is subject to an administrative order issued by a hearing officer pursuant to Section 8.54.090, may contest the administrative order by filing an appeal with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors. The appeal must be filed within seven (7) days from service of the administrative order. The Board of Supervisors may reverse, affirm wholly or partly, or modify the administrative order.

Any person who contests the final administrative order may seek judicial review of the order by filing an appeal with the Superior Court.

The complete Amended “Section 2. Chapter 8.54 of the Ordinance Code” can be found here.