Universal Waste

Kern County residents are no longer allowed to dispose of “Universal Waste” at landfills. What is Universal Waste? Universal Waste includes but is not limited to:

  • Batteries
  • Fluorescent tubes
  • Non-empty aerosol cans
  • Mercury thermometers
  • Flashing athletic shoes
  • Flashing jewelry
  • Cell phones
  • Game consoles
  • Television picture tubes
  • Flat panel computer monitors
  • Singing greeting cards

Universal Waste is accepted at Kern County Special Waste Facility locations, (661) 862-8922 or may be taken to one of the outlying Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events. For more recycling options, check out the Kern County Recycling Guide (6 MB).